Who We Are
A message from Calories’ Executive Chef and Owner Remi CousynCalories, a reflection on 30 years of community leadership and cooking…
I started my cooking apprenticeship in France the year before Calories opened its doors in Saskatoon. It is hard to believe that this was almost 30 years ago!
Location, Location, Location… When Calories was conceptualized as a small coffee shop and first opened in 1986 it was ahead of it’s time in more ways than one. Broadway did not quite impart the vibrant feelings one experiences today. The Broadway Theatre next door had a different kind of clientele, trendy shops, sidewalk sales and community events were not the norm then! Things have changed and most if not all residents, community members and leaders are thrilled that the district is thriving and these changes have benefited the neighbourhood in so many ways!
Real ingredients and flavours, the other two pillars of the restaurant, were built uncompromisingly into the operation from the very beginning. Wow, did these ever strike a chord with Saskatoonians! You have embraced and supported Calories’ real food from day one and families spanning three or even four generations have and are still enjoying Calories’ principles of simple, local and delicious meals today.
The Calories experience is about so much more than just food. It is about sustainability and community. We make a sincere effort to educate our staff on all aspects of food and wine, it is the basis of our service philosophy. Our dedicated and hard working team is the link between local growers and suppliers, our kitchen and you our guests. Our emphasis on smart, witty and intelligent people and French service inspired guidelines allows us to let you experience real true cuisine, not stuffy classic, not pretentious contemporary but real, simple, fresh and seasonal.
Finally none of this adventure would be possible without you, our patrons, so for your support and understanding of what we do and why it matters, thank you & bon appetit!
Leading the way
I have always tried to raise the bar above and beyond with respect to our menu, our ingredients, and the way we run the restaurant. Here are just a few of the reasons why Calories is a leader in our city’s restaurant landscape.
- Out of our concerns for health, Calories makes as it always has real soups, stocks & sauces from raw ingredients with no additives of any kinds, use real butter in all our baking and the list goes on.
- Allergies & dietary restrictions, out of cooking from raw ingredient comes control over all the ingredients in our food. Guests are always surprised by what they can actually have on the menu and that is because we know what is in the dish, we made it!
- First Non Smoking restaurant – there was no law then, just concerns for patrons and employees, it took 15 years for legislation to catch up.
- First 3 course menu or “table d’hote.”
- Local food long before it was “in” and now a push for better local food.
- The first premium cocktails & events caterer in Saskatoon.
- Oh, and I almost forgot the desserts!